Getting to Know . . . Luke Apfel
Wildlife Manager GMU 5B - Flagstaff
Arizona Game & Fish Department - Region 2
Luke grew up in Pine, AZ. He graduated from Payson High and then from NAU in 2010. Luke’s fondest memories growing up were of high school football and hunting with friends and family, among other things that teenage boys do . . .
Throughout college Luke worked as a wildland firefighter on the Tonto NF and then was hired as a wildlife manager (WM) by the Arizona Game and Fish Department in 2011, which was a career choice that Luke knew he wanted to do very early on. Luke’s first 2.5 years were spent as a WM in beautiful Bullhead City before he transferred to his current position as the WM for Game Management Unit 5B, which is comprised of both the Bar T Bar and Flying M ranches. Luke enjoys being able to work in an area that has such diversity, not only in regards to animals and habitat types but also people and land ownership.
When not working Luke cherishes his time that he gets to spend with his family: his wife Shanna and two girls under the age of four. Together they enjoy pretty much anything outdoors, from camping and playing sports to teaching the young girls how to shoot rabbits and birds in the back yard.
- Born in: Mesa, AZ
- Current Hero: My wife, Shanna
- Contribution to the Flagstaff Community: Removing nuisance skuns from my neighborhood
- Favorite Hobbies: Spending time with my wife and kids
- Favorite Western: Dances With Wolves
- Favorite Ranch Recipe: A juicy beef steak!
- Fondest Outdoor Memory: Hunting with friends and family, high school football
- Favorite College Class: Intermural sports
- Favorite Quotation: